What is Paranormal Romance?
Paranormal romance is a sub-genre of the contemporary romance genre, but it stands out because of the use of supernatural elements or the scientifically inexplicable along with the classic elements of romance writing.
PR novels usually touch on themes ranging from fantasy, science fiction and horror, but its roots are firmly grounded in a Gothic mythology. Its characters often range from human to vampires, ghosts, shape shifters, witches, demons, angels and even aliens.
One of the most common traits of PR stories is the blending of the real world with that of a supernatural or fantastical realm. The growing romance is generally between a human and some supernatural creature and highlights the issues they face, whether personal or supernatural, as they find their was to love and a happily ever after.
So what makes these stories so hot? Here are five reasons why I have found paranormal novels to be super sexy.
1. They often feature a strong female lead, she’s often fierce and determined as she seeks to protect the life of the one (s) she loves and not afraid to challenge hero no matter how badass he may be.
2. The melt-your-panties hero that can be a little scary but is sexy as sin so you really don’t mind too much.
3. An out-of-this-world story line that keeps you on the edge of your seat and biting your nails to see how it turns out.
4. Villains that scare yet excite you.
5. The possibility of a never ending happily-ever-after, in the case of those heroes/heroines that are immortal.
So what do you think? Do you enjoy a good way-out-there read? Does beyond the ordinary do it for you too?